There are some days when I just don’t feel like moving. I open my eyes and I sigh. The things that need to get done loom over my head and I just feel overwhelmed. So I move slow and procrastinate. Some days I get little to nothing productive done. It’s sad, but it’s true.
I think there are a number of things that can cause that, but one thing that occurred to me as I was replying to an email from my best friend Maria today, is that sometimes the act of being physically still can make me feel mentally stuck.
Photo of me in Los Cabos by Nancy Orozco
I really feel like our minds have this ability to dig ourselves deeper into a negative hole if we allow it to, that we can actually in our physical inaction be causing our minds to feel like we can think our way out of a situation or problem. But then, often negativity and fear can seep in, and we actually end up paralyzing ourselves into doing nothing. That causes moving forward with any task difficult, hence feeling stuck.
I realized this because I was feeling a bit gloomy, and decided to get up and start doing something. Anything that made me feel good. And as I did (I went for a run), I started feeling infinitely better. I also asked on Facebook and Twitter today what helped lift people’s spirits when they have the blues, and the reply was unanimously an action: exercise, eat, listen to music, etc. Sometimes they’re not always particularly productive actions per say, but I think they’re productive in that they get our minds off of the things that are plaguing us the most and bring the positivity back in.
Some things that I do to feel better:
- Jog or walk, like I mentioned
- Get outside even just for a little bit– any bit of sun is usually helpful
- Shower (I know that sounds strange to say, but sometimes even on the weekends, sitting in your pj’s for too long can start to feel a bit depressing)
- Cooking and spending time in the kitchen
- Calling a friend on the phone– friends always have a different perspective and good advice
- Do something nice for someone else (I need to do more of this)
- Catch up on a website or blog that I find inspiring
What do you think? What helps you when you’re feeling stuck or have the blues?